It’s the 4th of July and we are headed to the park for a picnic and some kayaking. That is, if the rain would clear up… In my kitchen it smells of cinnamon and chocolate. I have zucchini lining the bottom of my fridge so I searched for a good zucchini muffin recipe to make for this evening. This recipe is from www.agirldefloured.com who cooks for her gluten-free family. I changed it up a bit and added mini chocolate chips and made them into mini muffins.
Gluten-Free Zucchini ~ Chocolate Chip Muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Makes about 6 dozen mini muffins
- 2 full cup of grated zucchini (from about 1 medium zucchini)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 1/2 cup almond flour (or finely ground almond meal)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum (omit if your flour blend already has it)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk (or regular whole milk)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray mini muffin pans with gluten-free cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the shredded zucchini into some paper towels and gently squeeze out any moisture. Fluff the zucchini with a fork and set aside.
- Put the all-purpose gluten-free flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl and whisk to blend. In another large bowl add the brown sugar, coconut oil, eggs, coconut milk, lemon juice, vanilla, and walnuts. Whisk thoroughly until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat until combined. Fold in the grated zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Use Tablespoon scoop and fill mini muffin pans,bake for 12 – 14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then carefully turn out to cool completely on a rack.